DePauw Memorial United Methodist Church © 2016-
DePauw Memorial United Methodist Church is rich in history. Her technical birth was prior to 1850 with church school meetings held under a large sycamore tree near the church’s current location in New Albany.
For many years, Sunday school and worship services were held under the tree or in the homes of members. Numbers of attendees grew and a need for a larger gathering place was obvious. At one point, religious services were offered in a nearby dance hall. Soon, those attending these services decided to create a formal congregation.
The church was built in 1851 and named Kingsley Mission. It was reported that on November 20, 1871 all the seats were taken, men stood in the aisles and 200 people stood outside the building for the two-
Sadly, the day before the church was to be dedicated in 1884, Mr. DePauw’s thirteen-
Unfortunately, the church burned in 1899. A new church built of limestone was erected and dedicated in 1901. Fire destroyed this building in 1917. Church members purchased bricks from the old woolen mills in New Albany and gathered almost every night to collect, clean, and stack bricks for the new church. The current building was dedicated in 1919. It has seen many changes over the years and will undoubtedly see many more in the future.
(Above) Jennie DePauw Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church circa 1895.
(Below) Washington C. DePauw and his daughter, Jennie in 1882.
Courtesy of the New Albany Floyd County Public Library
Pastor: Brent Franz
Family Ministries Director: John Hoffman
Traditional Music Director & Organist -
Contemporary Music Director: Robin Zipper
Youth Director -
Administrative Assistant: Brittany Bley
Financial Administrator: Richard McCauley
Custodian : Tami Stull